|Daal, seen here served with boiled rice... the way I like eating it best!|
Maash Daal (Yellow Lentils) 1 Cup
Water 3-4 Cups
Oil 3 Tablespoons
Cumin Seeds 2 Teaspoons
Bay Leaves 2-3
Turmeric Powder 2 Teaspoons
Salt 1.5 Teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder 1 Teaspoon
Dried whole Red Chilies 2
Fresh Green Chilies 2
Black Pepper 0.5 Teaspoon
- Take the Daal and soak it in water for 30 mins
- Once done, drain the water out and dry roast the Daal for 3-4 minutes stirring regularly so it doesn't stick to the bottom
- Now add 3 Cups of Water to the pan and let the Daal boil in the water till its soft
- Take another Deep Pan and heat the oil in it
- Once hot add the Bay Leaves, Cumin Seeds, Turmeric Powder, Black Pepper, Dried Whole Red Chilies and Green Chilies to it frying them for about a minute.
- Add a few tablespoons of water to the mix if the oil is hot to prevent the Spices from burning
- Now take the pot of Daal (along with whatever water remains, should be about a cup by the time the Daal is done cooking) and pour it over the oil and the Spices and stir so that the two are well mixed
- Continue cooking on a light flame for about 5 minutes before take it off the stove.
- Serve with boiled rice (my favorite), Roti (Pakistani bread) or just have it with a spoon.