It’s Showtime in Dubai as HUM awards go international. Bigger and better this year’s show promises to be a cracker, and we will have some exclusive photos from Dubai very soon. Just 3 days to go, and our birdie has told us the preps are well underway, let’s have a look at the nominations and pick SiddySays favorites from some top Drama Serial categories.
BEST ACTOR FEMALE
- SANAM JUNG FOR MUHABBAT SUBH KA SITARA HAI
- SABA QAMAR FOR BUNTY I LOVE YOU
- MAHIRA KHAN FOR SADQE TUMHARE
- AIZZA KHAN FOR MERE MEHERBAAN
- AYESHA KHAN FOR MEHRAM
- SABA QAMAR FOR DIGEST WRITER
- MAYA ALI FOR SHANAKHT
SABA QAMAR FOR BUNTY I LOVE YOU: A power packed performance, portraying a complex character of a beautiful woman in her late 30’s. Married at an early age to an older man for money, Saba falls in love with a younger boy from a poor family and the story revolves around the complexities of the relationship. Shades of negative and positive in Dania’s character were balanced very well by Saba’s flawless acting which is why we are betting on her to take the award home
BEST ACTOR MALE
- MEEKAL ZULFIQAR FOR MUHABBAT SUBH KA SITARA
- ADNAN MALIK FOR SADQE TUMHARE
- ALI REHMAN FOR MUHABBAT AB NAHI HUGI
- AHSEN KHAN FOR MAUSAM
- ADNAN SIDDIQUI FOR AHISTA AHISTA
- ADEEL HUSSAIN FOR MUHABBAT SUBH KA SITARA HAI
ADNAN MALIK FOR SADKAY TUMHARAY: Angry young man in love with looks that kill, Adnan Malik aka Khalil is straight out of every girl’s fantasy. Handsome, suave, romantic and determined, Khalil is love personified and Adnan has brought the character to life effortlessly. When he romances on screen, he does so with ease of SRK, when he is aggressive he is Bachchan, I think that’s enough said and the reason why we want to see him as the leading man on eve of April 9th.
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE – FEMALE
- MANSHA PASHA FOR MUHABBAT SUBH KA SITARA HAI
- SABREEN HISBAHANI FOR LAA
- MAHEEN KHALID FOR DIGEST WRITER
- NEELUM MUNIR FOR MERE MEHERBAAN
- SANYA SHAMSHAD FOR SADQE TUMHARE
MANSHA PASHA FOR MSKSH: Loud and obnoxious, Pasha is the cousin we all have. Keeping the character from a lower middle class and greedy family very real was a challenge Pasha accepted and did justice to without being in your face yet being loud enough to want to slap at times! Our pick for the category, clearly Mansha Pasha.
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE – MALE
- JUNAID KHAN FOR FIRAAQ
- KHALID MALIK FOR LAA
- REHAN SHEIKH FOR SADQE TUMHARE
- FAHAD MIRZA FOR SHANAKHT
- ABID ALI FOR BUNTY I LOVE YOU
JUNAID KHAN FOR FIRAAQ: This one is a no brainer. A troubled childhood and a complex marriage combined with demons from the past made Junaid Khan give a performance that endeared him even more to the audience. From a negative, closed and difficult man on a journey of finding out the truth about his past and reconnecting with his roots, Junaid did justice to every shade of the character and we are rooting for him to bag this award without much difficulty.
BEST DRAMA SERIAL
- DIGEST WRITER BY LARACHI ENTERTAINMENT
- MUHABBAT SUBH KA SITARA HAI BY MOMINA DURAID PRODUCTIONS
- SADQE TUMHARE BY MOMINA DURAID/SAMINA HUMAYUN SAEED/TARIQ AHMED SHAH
- MERE MEHERBAAN BY 7TH SKY ENTERTAINMENT
- BUNTY I LOVE YOU BY MOMINA DURAID PRODUCTIONS
- MAUSAM BY MOMINA DURAID PRODUCTIONS
- SHANAKHT BY A.N.K PRODUCTION
DIGEST WRITER BY LARACHI ENTERTAINMENT: We are witnessing the increasing popularity of plays revolving around helpless, victimized, tortured women, this is the story of Farida, a girl from lower middle class family, who despite many adversities in her personal life has a dream of being a digest writer and makes it big by eventually becoming a leading playwright. Even though we are surprised at not finding a nomination for the plays male lead for the best actor category, we have to say that the acting of the entire cast, the direction, the simple yet inspiring story and the popularity of the play all contribute and come together as a strong presentation leading the category for best drama serial and we have our bet set on this one.
BEST ACTOR IN A NEGATIVE ROLE
- FARAH SHAH FOR MUHABBAT SUBH KA SITARA HAI
- UZMA GILLANI FOR FIRAAQ
- SAMIA MUMTAZ FOR SADQE TUMHARE
- YUMNA ZAIDI FOR MAUSAM
- ARMEENA RANA FOR MOHABBAT AAB NAHEEN HOGEE
SAMIA MUMTAZ FOR SADQE TUMHARE: ‘Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned’, this must have been said for Samias character in Sadkay Tumharay because the portrayal of a scorned woman could not have been done by any other with such perfection. The constant trouble maker in the love story Samia plays the heroines mother who is against her daughters marriage to her sisters and ex fiancée’s son, forever spinning a web of lies and deceit to ensure she gets things how she wants them. The character is thoroughly negative and every bit enjoyable owing to the balance and brilliance of Samias acting.