Iftaari without fruit chaat is incomplete at our place. I try to make it a bit differently everyday and this is our favorite way to have it. Being an army brat, we moved a lot all over Pakistan but spent a lot of time in Rawalpindi. The pindi girl in me loves this fruit chaat we get in saddar, I have so many memories associated with it.
It is somewhat exotic with the addition of strawberries and is flavored with aloo bukhara chutney, cream and almonds. I’m sure it will be a favorite at your homes too.
STREET STYLE FRUIT CHAAT
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, halved
- 1/4 cup almonds, peeled
- 4-5 dates, chopped
- 4-5 tbsp fresh cream for garnish
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala
FOR THE CHUTNEY
- 1 cup aloo bukhara
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup melon seeds
- 1/4 tsp roasted and crushed cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp roasted and crushed corriander seeds
- A pinch of red chili powder
- Cook the aloo bukhara with water and sugar till soft. Remove the seeds from the plums and slightly crush them with a fork. Add the masala and add the melon seeds. Cook for another 10mins and set aside to cool. It should be a thin consistency.
- Mix the fruits with chaat masala, 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp cream and half the almonds. Add it to a serving dish. Add the chuntey, mix it in and top with more chutney, dates, almonds and a drizzle of cream. Chill before serving
The recipe is provided by Nidolicious.