The immune system is just like a shield that protects us against the attack of invaders aka GERMS. When this system is working fine you are healthy but sometimes it may become enervated, hence paving the path for infections and illnesses.
Besides seasonal changes, viral and bacterial infections are the few of the causes that parents complain about. Either it’s a stomach bug or flu that goes on to affect the over all health of children. However to tackle these menaces, it is essential to strengthen your child’s immunity.
So how do you boost your child’s immunity? We got in touch with our local Pediatrician at Hameed Latif Hospital and here are some of the ways that’ll boost your kids immunity.
- We love being prescribed antibiotics for a minor wound to an ear infection. And yes they are life saving sometimes but 30% of the times they are unnecessary because antibiotics not only wipe out pathogenic bacteria, but deplete the beneficial bacteria in the gut microbiome.
- Drink a lot of water
ENSURE A HEALTHY GUT WITH PROBIOTICS RICH FOODS
- Yogurt is one good option to start, however refrain from the use of commercially available flavored yogurts have added sugar. Greek yogurt or plain homemade yogurt is a good option.
BOOST SLEEP TIME
- Plentiful sleep makes up a big chunk for a healthy immune system. National Sleep Foundations recommendation for sleep for different age groups as follows:
- Toddlers (1-2 years) : 11-14 hoursSet featured image
- Preschoolers (3-5 years) : 11-13 hours
- School children (6-13 years): 9-11 hours
EXERCISE & PLAY TIME
Participate in fum family activities instead of asking kids to go out and play, get in to the habit of time together as it increases the natural killer cells in the body to fight off germs. This also instills the power of a life long habits that will benefit them as they grow up.
Lastly use of some supplements when the child is going through flu or infections is helpful. These include fish oil, vitamin D, zinc, and probiotics. Strive to add these from natural sources and if you need individualized dosage.