Plush toys and stuffed toys for kids are always a must in a house of children. So if you are thinking of buying some, why not save some money and make them yourself. So, we have got a DIY plush toys guide for you here. So without any further ado, let’s get on with it.
Needed Materials For Your DIY Plush Toys
- Fabric pieces or offcuts (any soft fabric)
- For stuffing, you can use the scrap fabric, cotton or polyester.
- Matching threads
- Sewing machine
- Paper (for shapes)
Things To Keep In Mind
There are some things, I would like to tell you beforehand that as there are some parts that are hand-sewn. So, keep monitoring the plushies because they can come undone overtime. And try to use organic stuffing just to be on the safe side. You can also stitch a part twice to get it fixed. At any point, if you want you can find plush toys at several toy stores across the country.
- Firstly, get the shape you want to make printed on a paper and use that as a sample. Now placed that shaped paper on your fabric and draw a line all around it. That will be the size of your plushies.
- Secondly, pin up the two sides of fabric (front and back) together and cut around your marked line.
- Stitch the border lines of both pieces of fabrics together leaving a margin of 2 to 3 inches to stuff it’s inside. This is all you need to do for making cloud, star, raindrop and moon plushies.
- After sewing it, turn it upside down with the help of a pen or bodkin. By doing this the sides of fabric which were inside will come out to the front.
- Second last step is to stuff your plush toys. When you’re stuffing your fabric scrap, cotton or polyester just pass that to corners first then fill the middle through the opening you left earlier.
- Last thing is to sew that opening with a matching thread. As it should be hand sewn, so double stitch it in order to make it firm. And double knot the thread at the end.
- To give these plush toys a cute look, you can also make eyes and lips by using a prominent colored thread.
Now, some important things to keep in mind are that the colors of plushies should be light and soft according to your child’s room theme. That will make the room look cuter. And wash these plushies twice a month just to avoid any bacterial interference.
Leave a Reply